Acupuncture Sports Medicine Education
Whitfield Reaves, OMD, LAc, has been teaching acupuncturists and other health care practitioners for over 30 years – ever since graduating from his formal training in 1981. In 1986, he taught one of the first courses ever offered in North America on sports acupuncture, thus emphasizing the necessity for specialization in the profession. This course, and his programs since 1986, include protocols such as trigger points and the needling of anatomically significant tissues of the body. Whitfield's work in Acupuncture Sports Medicine has been a significant contribution to orthopedics and the treatment of pain in the profession.
Whitfield teaches a wide variety of seminars on Acupuncture Sports Medicine throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe. Most if not all of his programs are approved for continuing education credits (PDAs) by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM provider #179). Many weekend seminars are also approved for CEUs by the state of California (CEP #1121). Additionally, Whitfield has been a visiting professor for the Doctoral programs of many accredited universities, including The American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine in San Francisco, Emperor's College in Los Angeles, and Bastyr University in Seattle, Washington.
Let us summarize the learning and educational options with Whitfield Reaves and Acupuncture Sports Medicine Seminars.
1. The Acupuncture Sports Medicine Apprenticeship Program is the "flagship" of Whitfield's live seminars. It has been adapted to COVID era, and it is hopeful we will return to full group meetings within the year. This program features mentorship-style instruction in diagnosis, assessment, and treatment for practitioners of sports acupuncture. Please see the full and detailed description of The Apprenticeship Program on the Calendar page.
2. Live-stream courses have been the only way to teach in "real time", and with the Zoom platform we are able to have questions and answers and have at least some limited sense of community among the practitioner attendees. Live-stream seminars feature two-day courses on each of the three body sections. Additionally, three-hour Modules are offered, focusing on a single anatomical region such as the shoulder or the knee. And always be on the lookout for a one to three hour live Webinar, usually offered at no cost.
3. The newest webinar series, Mastering the Treatment of Injury and Pain, was released in August, 2020. It is a complete program on sports acupuncture, including the shoulder and upper extremity, the low back and hip, and the lower extremity. Also included in these video courses is commentary on techniques such as the tendino-muscle meridians and the extraordinary channels, and treatment of injury and pain syndromes using a Four Step approach. The webinar is hosted by Net of Knowledge, the brilliant on-line learning offered worldwide through its affiliates. For the United States, that would be Lhasa OMS.
5. The Acupuncture Sports Medicine Webinar Series, Whitfield's original on-line recordings, has been available for over 10 years. There are 18 one-hour webinars on separate and specific treatment topics, such as patello-femoral joint dysfunction and achilles tendonitis. This webinar series is also hosted by Net of Knowledge.
6. The Practicum courses are new to the offerings. Due to COVID, learners are missing supervised practice in both online webinars and live-stream seminars. The Practicum, organized for each of the three body sections, is the way to complete the program, getting experienced practitioners to provide feedback for point location, skillful palpation, and precise needling. Practicum courses are announced on the Calendar page, and when gathering is safe we will be able to offer more dates and locations.
WHAT DO PRACTITIONERS SAY?
From K.S. in Australia
Following on from your terrific workshop in Melbourne in June and utilizing the excellent Acupuncture Handbook, I continue to have outstanding results in my practice of sports/orthopedic/musculoskeletal acupuncture. It has gone to another level altogether. Of course one always gains inspiration and a few pearls that stick after an acupuncture workshop, but your approach and teaching is truly of a different quality altogether. Thank you indeed for what you do…
From S.L. in USA
I wanted to thank you again! I've been in practice 4 years now. And if you remember, I took your courses while in my last 6 months of the OM program. I truly believe that what I learned from you – and your book that I still regularly use – has been the reason I've had a busy practice for all this time. So thank you dear mentor, colleague and friend!
THE ACUPUNCTURE SPORTS MEDICINE APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
Whitfield Reaves is the director of his “flagship” teaching program based upon small group mentorship-stye education, instruction, and supervision.
OTHER LIVE SEMINARS
These include Acupuncture Treatment of Pain in the Shoulder & Upper Extremity, Acupuncture Treatment of Pain in the Low Back & Hip, and Acupuncture Treatment of Pain in the Lower Extremity. The Practicum will be offered in three day weekends, with clinical practice supervised by Whitfield Reaves and his Co-teaching assistants.
MASTERING THE TREATMENT OF INJURY & PAIN
Perfect your assessment and treatment in sports acupuncture without leaving your home! A series of live-stream courses and webinars for online learning at home includes demonstration of palpation and needle techniques for many common injuries and pain syndromes. And they are approved for PDAs and CEUs.
THE ACUPUNCTURE SPORTS MEDICINE WEBINAR SERIES
With 18 one-hour videos, you can watch and learn exactly what you need, or use it for repetition and review from the other teaching programs.
FOR UPCOMING SEMINARS AND TEACHING EVENTS
2021 Teaching Calendar